In 2007, corporate, research and government leaders came together to form a public-private partnership that could, and did, catapult Columbus into the national spotlight as a technology hub. TechColumbus (now Rev1) was charged with 1) funding and incubating highly promising technology startups; 2) providing a forum for critical professional development and networking opportunities for the region’s thriving IT community; and 3) elevating the region’s image nationally. In its first five years, TechColumbus built its professional membership base to over 30,000 members, produced hundreds of annual events and directly invested more than $22 million into 140 ventures which attracted to the region an additional $300 million in follow-on funding from outside investors.
Sparkafire was part of this movement, providing strategies for membership development, marketing communications, media relations and thought leadership for the organization and dozens of its technology startups.
- Curating content and writing TechWeek e-newsletter published weekly to 10,000+ subscribers
- Conducting national industry press tours in conjunction with Chamber of Commerce, Columbus 2020 and industry organizations
- Developing key messaging and managing consistent storytelling
- Writing thought leadership materials and feature articles
- Providing grassroots advocacy communications for key legislation
- Developing collateral materials
- Gathering data, providing context, writing copy and directing design of Innovation Capital Annual Reports
- Leading signature event marketing – CIO forums and Innovation Awards
- Directing member survey